God Must Be First
“He that makes religion his business
- believes that to fear God with a secondary fear is atheism;
- that to trust God with a secondary trust is treason;
- that to honor God with a secondary honor is idolatry;
- and to love God with a secondary love is adultery;
therefore he loves (and fears and trust and honors) ‘the Lord his God with all his heart, with all his soul and with all his strength.’ (Matthew 22:36-37).
– Trading and Thriving in Godliness: The Piety of George Swinnock, ed. Stephen Yuille, Reformation Heritage Books, pp. 83, 84