John MacArthur is Robbing the Church
[ For the sake of the Church, I'd like to ask you to share this post far and wide. Thanks - JT ]
For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God’s truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, “Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name.” – Romans 15:8,9.
I almost entitled this post How Dispensationalism Robs the Church, but dispensationalism is a belief system, and therefore unable to rob anyone of anything of itself. Warning the Church of error is greatly enhanced when a name is put to it, and so it is.
Posts such as this one are not a delight. Yet when the powers of darkness assault God’s truth, we must be jealous for His glory, His Name, and His Word.
Brethren, all the promises of God, in both testaments, find their fulfillment in Christ, without exception. 2 Corinthians 1:20.
Moreover, all the promises of God, both testaments, every last one of them, was made ‘in Christ’. No promise of God’s blessing applies to anyone, in any way, apart from Christ.
In the old testament, the promises are meant for the learning and comfort of the Church alone. I Corinthians 10:11. Not only that, they were recorded to give us, the Church, hope. Hope, encouragement, instruction – all for the believer in Christ. Romans 15:4.
Now, a man comes along and teaches that many of those promises do not belong to me, I cannot claim them, much less draw hope and comfort from them, for they belong to a people outside of Christ, indeed, His current enemies. To believe such heinous error is to relegate much of Scripture as a dead letter to me, yourself and the Church.
Anyone who believes such heresy is being robbed of comfort, hope, encouragement and instruction – and by a man who puts himself in opposition to Scripture, Christ and His Church. That man is a spiritual thief.
God has clearly told us that all His promises find their fulfillment in Christ, and those who are in Christ possess those promises and all blessings associated with them because we are in Christ. They belong to us because they were made and fulfilled in Him, and we are His body.
John MacArthur, and everyone who believes and teaches the lies of dispensationalism is, at least for now, a false teacher. John MacArthur would rob the Church of its comfort, encouragement, hope and instruction by taking those very promises made ‘in Christ’ and hand them over to an unbelieving people:
Now, beloved, let me just tell you that’s why there are still Jews in the world. That’s why there is still a nation. The covenants of God sworn in the oath of God have demanded the preservation of the people of God. For if Israel went out of existence there would be no way for God to fulfill His covenants. And so God has caused perpetuity in the Jewish stock. He has caused those people to outlive all other peoples contemporaneous with them in ancient times. They are a phenomenon. They are not God’s ancient people Israel, they are God’s present people and God’s future people to whom He must fulfill His covenants, He must fulfill His promises therefore He must maintain their existence. God has a plan for Israel. His character depends on it. His integrity depends on it. His trustworthiness and faithfulness depend on it.
And to sum up God’s promise to Israel is to say ultimately He promises to redeem them, to give them a glorious Kingdom, to give them peace from all their enemies and the fullness of blessing. And that will come in the future, that is God’s promise. – John MacArthur, Has God Cancelled His Promises to Israel? (emphasis mine)
In saying these things, John MacArthur, as does every dispensationalist believing the same…
- Denies that, as Scripture teaches, the only Jew is one who is circumcised of the heart, in Christ, who is a Jew inwardly, not outwardly. Romans 2:29.
- Denies the promises were made to Abraham and to his Seed which is Christ, and fulfilled in Christ. Galatians 3:16.
- Denies that salvation for geo-political Israel must be by faith alone, before the return of Christ, and teaches faith plus sight after the second advent. A way of salvation unknown in Scripture.
- Denies that the Church alone is a chosen race, holy nation, a people for God’s possession. I Peter 2:9
- Denies that the promises of God have already been fulfilled in Christ and that apart from Him, there are no blessings and no favored status before God. 2 Corinthians 1:20
In essence, he sets Himself against what God has clearly communicated to His true people, the Church.
Brethren, this man, and many others who teach likewise, are attempting to rob the Bride of Christ, and have succeeded in deceiving many of our brethren – for now. We could go on regarding what is being denied, but do we need to? Is it not clear there is a thief and a false teacher among us?
The question I ask you today is simple: The Church is being robbed in broad daylight. Should we be silent and just ignore that truth for the sake of ‘unity’? Or should we be bold for the sake of Christ’s Name, His Word, His offices and His Gospel?
- The Cult of Dispensationalism (5ptsalt.com)
- John MacArthur: Diminishing the Cross of Christ (5ptsalt.com)
- A Damnable Error & A Simple Question (5ptsalt.com)
- God’s Word or John MacArthur’s? (5ptsalt.com)
- When Israel Means the Church (5ptsalt.com)
- Is Repentance A ‘Secondary Issue’? (5ptsalt.com)
- No Temporal Blessings for the Unregenerate (5ptsalt.com)
- Bootlicker, Ignorant or Coward? (5ptsalt.com)
- My Apology to Everyone (5ptsalt.com)