The Bold Mistake(s) of Barnabas Piper
Christians from across the country have rallied to support Chick-fil-A in light of the CEO’s stance for the biblical definition of marriage of one man, one woman. Good for them. Unfortunately, some highly visible professing Christians are doing what they can in order to not only smear the Word of God, but to encourage tolerance of homosexual sin.
Think I’m exaggerating? I give you the son of John Piper, who says that supporting Chick-fil-A is a ‘bold mistake’.
In an article on WorldMag, Barnabas Piper has this absurd, unbiblical lecture:
Homosexuality is one of the most defining, contentious, and complex issues facing this generation of the church. We cannot sacrifice our biblical convictions but neither can we sacrifice the church’s ability to serve people of opposing viewpoints and lifestyles. The 452,000 people supporting Chick-fil-A are delivering more than one message, and the message the homosexual community and its supporters see is “us versus you.” The event also sends a message of separatism and territorialism in the “reclaiming” of those restaurants that are being boycotted, a collective action easily seen as a shaking of the fist or a wagging of the finger.
Convictions, especially biblical ones, will divide people. That is inevitable, but not desirable. The separation of believers and unbelievers, when it happens, must be a last resort or an unavoidable result. Actions to the contrary, those that clearly promote an “us versus them” mentality, are most often unhelpful. There is a time for Christians to engage in boycotting, such as when a business deals in obviously immoral areas or is clearly unethical in its methods. But for a mass of Christians to descend upon Chick-fil-A restaurants across the country tomorrow to support the leadership’s view on this issue is, I believe, a bold mistake.
Terribly wrong, Barny. You drag the truth of God’s Word through the mud. You should be ashamed. Don’t worry, I don’t expect you to be.
Let’s get some things straight, brethren:
1. Homosexuality is not defining or complex. It’s intentional sin against the infinite God. It’s only contentious because some give way to those who contend for it. God’s Word is defining – everything!
2. The Church is not called to ‘serve’ (read tolerate and cajole] those of opposing viewpoints and lifestyles, but is called to communicate to all those outside of Christ to repent and believe the Gospel. We are not to cater to homosexuals but to love them enough to inform them that they face the future of eternal damnation if they continue as is.
3. The message of supporters of Chick-fil-A is spot on target. Piper says the message being sent to homosexuals is ‘us verses you’? Close! It’s God and us verses them – and they are sin, inherently. We desire that they repent and come to Christ for salvation and deliverance from their rebellion, but there is no false line being drawn here, no false opposition, it is biblical.
4. Barnabas, the entire Word of God encourages Christians to be separate from the world and its lusts and culture! What are you thinking? [Don’t answer that].
5. Biblical convictions do divide people, and that’s a good thing! God desires His people to be separate! Division is not ‘desirable’? Oh yes it is! The separation between believers and unbelievers is God’s command, not the last resort. Mercy, I thank God you are not taking over your dads position.
6. Barnabas, the only bold mistake are the ones you have made in your article. Clearly, you put ecumenical, emergent, fru-fru, worldly, compromising thinking ahead of God’s clearly communicated and unequivocally firm demands on what it is to be a Christian.