For the grace of God has appeared,bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness andworldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds. – Titus 2:11-14
We are saved by grace so that others might see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. In addition, we are to be zealous – enthusiastic and diligent -for good deeds.
There are four types of good deeds, or works, in which God expects His children to be zealous:
I. Acts of worship
- Private worship: close, personal relationship with God every day. Bible study, prayer and Scriptural meditation are the backbone of every good work.
- Public worship: God deserves to be publicly worshipped. By not joining in public worship one joins unbelievers in saying He does not deserve it.
II. Secular Vocations
Christians should do their best at whatever job they have been given to do. We should have the reputation as the best of workers.
III. Social Responsibilities
Justice, righteousness and morality. Christians should stand for all that is wholesome and good. After all, we are the only salt and light the world has.
IV. Acts of Charity
This is a debt we owe to God. Acts of charity are not acceptable if the previous three are lacking. Christians bear witness of their zeal by:
- Being forward and cheerful with positive attitudes.
- Always doing our best, God hates lukewarmness.
- Being steadfast and consistent. True Christians will fight to never permit the zeal for Christ to burn out.
Our Lord was very zealous for the Church. The agony He endured bears witness that it is not an easy thing to bring the soul of a sinner to heaven. Being a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ is no easy thing either. In fact, it is impossible, unless you have that zeal for Him that brings forth the fruit of good works.