5 Reasons To Be Cautious with Tim Keller’s Theology
Last night a ‘new calvinist’ young buck let me know in no uncertain terms that my concern for Tim Keller’s theology was ‘silly’. Fair enough. I disagree with that of course. The sounding alarm of error is never silly.
Now, I have received many questions by some who are quite fond of Tim Keller and have been blessed by his preaching and teaching. Great. But there are some things that cannot be ignored when it comes to Tim Keller’s – and others – theology, and here are five of them:
2) Believes true Christianity is attractive to unregenerates and one purpose of the local church is to exist for and welcome unbelievers to worship with believers. Read more here.
3) Recommends Roman Catholic mysticism. Read more here.
4) At Tim Keller’s Redeemer Presbyterian Church, teaches contemplative spirituality, eastern mysticism and held classes on The Way of the Monk where students were helped to get in touch with their ‘inner monk’ – another term for the ‘inner self’.
Here’s a promotional quote of the classes:
The Way of the Monk (April 28, May 5 & 12)
Do you long for the great theology in your head to be more real to your heart? Come discover age-old methods of contemplative prayer and worship that can help you encounter Christ in a more intimate, experiential way. In this hands-on workshop, you will experience theancient art of chanting the Psalms (they were meant to be sung!), embark on a practice of authentic Christian meditation, discover how a simple, time-honored tool can help unleash the prayer warrior in you, learn what a typical monastic day is like and how you can make your own, private retreat at a monastery, and much more!
5) Denies the biblical truth of young-earth creation and literal six 24-hour day creation:
“I believe in the historicity of Gen 1-11 and Adam and Eve and I don’t believe in young earth-creation or six 24-hour day creation.”
There are more reasons, but these alone should raise your eyebrows and give pause. It is my hope that those who snap up every book and lecture of Bro. Keller will be made more aware of what’s going on within the camp of ‘new calvinism’. By no means is Tim Keller the only reformergent to endorse and promote these things and people. Yet we cannot condone the admittance of error into the Church. We simply cannot turn a blind eye to corrupt doctrines in the name of unity and peace. Truth in doctrine and it’s application must be paramount.
“Let God be true though every one were a liar…” – Romans 3:4
Follow regular updates on Twitter at www.twitter.com/JoelTaylor_
- The Two Faces of the Gospel Coalition: Bringing Truth & Error Together (5ptsalt.com)
- 5 Features of New Calvinism (5ptsalt.com)